Sunday, June 22, 2008

Another Week Gone by...

SO i had my first real week here kind of. I worked with two different groups for two days each. I still haven't gotten to work for a full week with a group yet. I worked with a group out of AZ for the first two days.
This group rocked it. For real. They started on Sunday and they tell me they poured their slab in 2 hour and 6 minutes, Now that is dang fast! They were an awesome group i learned a lot from them. We got to see the mother on the last day. She was a single mom with 4 kids and worked at Calimax. She took the afternoon off with no pay to help finish up the house. She just broke in to tears when we started to hand her the keys. She was so touched. This group was awesome though. they welcomed me in and they had a lot of fun. I was sad to see them go at the end of the two days.

On Wed. I picked up a group from CA. They were brand new. They had never built a house before and were coming from a wide background. The leaders were a little nervous. They had a mixed group of Christians and not, Kids who knew how to work and the lazy kid. Oh yeah and they had a hard sit like the one we had at training. So we got to work. The leader was great she pounded out the slab. I mean it was not just her but she was for sure pushing the group to the max. It was awesome. The finished their slab and one of the walls which is a great start to the week especially for a first time group. This group worked really hard. They were also really cool b/c as a group of a mix the leaders were all about sharing. So one day at lunch they had nick and I share about why we are hear and what not.

I told they I am here b/c it is a totally worth it summer. I am down here living a sweet summer. and I am doing good in the area for God. I mean it is not about me at all really and the cool thing is that Amor runs through the Church so the house is a gift truly from God not from a bunch of white people who decide to give a week. And the impact you have is for Christ. I mean I am not building these house the groups are and the groups turn over the keys. The church gives the house in the name of the Lord not in the name of Kelsey. Which is cool to know that God is using my Summer in ways that I can't see and will never see.
It was cool to get to talk tot he group and encourage them in different ways. one of the kids said this was the hardest he had ever worked but he was having fun. I mean what a cool thing to get to hear. Also at the end of the two days the leader thanked me. They thanked me for my patients and said it was a gift from God which was cool to hear. I mean I didn't even think I was really doing all that much to be patient with them but they said a few people had said that. Which to me just shows once again that God is working in ways I don't see or know. Another cool thing that was in a way a God thing. I was to work with Chelsea this week but then TJ told me I was with him all week which is why I worked with this group. I mean Nick and I were both there which was needed so it was a God thing that I got switched to the group at the last minute.

This sunday we came in early to go to church. It was fun. I really enjoyed it the message was on James 1 and Pure Joy. Which is cool cause that is what Alex has labeled his summer pure joy. That no matter what happens or the struggles we have that we think of it was pure joy. that is only gets us closer to God and that it is all to mature and teach us for Gods plan. So it was good.

This weekend was crazy hot. I mean like danger. Camp is so hot even at night I don't' sleep in my sleeping bag. people are passing out on work sites and getting sick.

With that being said here are some prayer requests for the week.

WE are finally was a group getting a little better not was many people sick this week so your prayers have been working. Keep it up
Pray that we find ways to stay cool as the heat gets worse.
That our groups are smart and drinking lots of water so we have no incidents at the work sites.
That we as a team would get along and work though some of the tension between us.


Also I am super excited to see my home church and work with them this week. Also our sites are an hour away from camp so pary for safe travel.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, It sounds like you & the others are having a great time!! I know that God is looking out for all of you. Hope you continue to enjoy what you are doing. We will continue to pray for good things to happen & for your safety. Once again please be careful!!!!! Love Gramma Judy & Papa Fran

    ReplyDelete